Thursday, July 10, 2008

Picnics and summer rains

My idea of a perfect summer night is sitting with adults I like, drinking and eating in a relaxed way, while our kids run around, active, bright, happy. This rarely happens, except, at picnics. Picnics in the park are perfect environments for everyone - the adults get to sit under trees and rest for a minute from the relentless urban environment that is Manhattan and the kids aren't told to be quiet, but allowed to run around like the puppies they are, and if water guns are added into the mix, well then they are in their own personal nirvana.

Last night we went to our local park, sat at the tables under the trees. Everyone brought some food, (okay, everyone brought too much food) so there was a banquet laid out before us. We ate, drank the wine we sneaked in, actually chatted to each other while our children had the best time.

When the park closed, far too early at 8pm, we were dawdling, reluctant to leave, and the clouded skies came to a decision and a summer deluge burst forth.

The kids were all thoroughly drenched in any case, after an evening of water warfare, and once you relax into it, walking in a torrential downpour can add to the summer fun. I love it actually, walking in the rain. By the time I got home I could not have been wetter if I had been in a shower, but for me, it was the perfect end to a really lovely evening. Picnics, warm rains, water, laughter, it's all part of summer for me...

No comments: