Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bel Canto

I've had luck with books this week. First finding The Finder and now reading Bel Canto by Anne Patchett.

A friend recommended it which always makes me a bit nervous. I read so much but have such specific tastes that I invariably do not like books that others rave about. So I refused to buy it on her say so, but diplomatically (I hope!) said I would order it from the library. The library emailed me that very day to say it was ready for me! So I picked it up and ignored it for a week and today started reading it. I finished it in one day. So that says something.

It's a lyrical book about relationships and power and language and opera. Set in an unknown South American country, a Japanese industrialist is there to celebrate his birthday, lured but the chance to hear a world renown opera singer sing just for his gathering. When the terrorists come to kidnap the President, and learn that the President did not come, the story commences. It's not strong on plot, but it does have beautiful descriptions and it was a lovely world to spend time in. I particularly liked the priest and his insights, and also how the various leaders were stymied by not having a common language, which made the one translator Gen, a man who would not otherwise put himself forward, a central character. My only quibble is that the ending, after such meandering, is too abrupt. I would have liked a different epilogue - either one with more detail or with a different resolution, but I did like the book very much and have labeled it a keeper at library thing.

Which reminds me, from time to time I write about library thing which is where I write reviews of every book I read. And so do many other readers. I like it so much I paid all of $25 to become a life member. I don't use all the chat facilities, but if you like books and like to browse, it has wonderful ways to link to other libraries that share common books with yours and a chance to see their selections. So it broadens your reading base and can introduce you to like minded readers to write and rant about books that you love. I just love seeing all the covers of the books I've read neatly laid out, and as I review most of them, I can remember what I thought about them and keep up with authors that I like. It made returning my library books much easier, as I can access this virtual library and then reorder them from the real library when ever I feel the need, so my house is much less cluttered!

No comments: