Sunday, July 20, 2008

The girl who stopped swimming

I'm 3 for 3, which is rare for me. I don't even know where I got this book from. I think EW recommended it. (they actually have excellent film and book reviews. I trust their reviewers) But I just finished the girl who stopped swimming by Joshilyn Jackson, and really enjoyed it.

Laurel has this perfect life, sort of, with a husband who works computer code in the basement and a daughter she loves too much turning 12. And then her daughter's best friend Molly drowns one night in her pool and Molly's ghost comes to wake up Laurel and nothing is the same.

I liked the relationship between the sisters - Thalia and Laurel. I liked the depictions of Laurel and the life she was trying to build for herself. Her quilt art and her sister's fond contempt for her life. I liked David (sometimes known as Dave) and the marriage he and Laurel had made. I liked the ending, it felt believable. (within the realms of the story) I liked it all. I'd rate it an A, and a keeper.

No comments: