Thursday, May 3, 2007

Sometime in early May (hey, at least I know what day it is!)
I lose track of the dates. Luckily the computer reveals all.

Saw a cute website today from an author- Miranda July- promoting her book - No one belongs Here more than You. It makes me want to read her book. Certainly she fits the quirky format and rates a mention!

What did I do today? Not much. The pollen and dust from upstairs are really bothering me. (they're renovating. Removing all the floor boards, which is good because the new floors should be far more insulated and thus quieter but I am suffering in the short term, working from home I'm affected by the noise but even more so by the dust. My eyes are burning. I look like I've been crying.)

But I did do some work on the Taste of Tribeca. This is a wonderful NYC event, which many attendees don't even realize is a fundraiser for 2 public schools. Instead they just think they are eating delicious foods from some of the fanciest restaurants in New York, listening to music and generally having a great time. Come and play - it's worth the time, the food is genuinely terrific (as an 'old timer' - Megu gives fabulous tastes and Bubby's give the largest portions) and the money does go to a great cause, so it's win/win.

The other quirky thing I wanted to mention is Librarything. I get so many books from the library, I lose track of what I have read and what I haven't. So when I found this website, I loved it. You list all the books you've read. You rate them. You collate them. Then you see what people who have read similar books are reading now, and perhaps pick up some good suggestions. You can talk about books in the discussion boards. You can find people who share your passions. There are a disproportionate amount of sci-fi readers there, but that's good for me, as I read lots of it. But type in your book, see how popular it is (ie how many other people have listed it too) see what they thought of it, see what books they recommend, see what books they think are the opposite. If you want, you can spend hours there.

No comments: