Monday, May 21, 2007

Spring Awakening

So last week my husband organized tickets for Duncan Sheik's small concert at this converted Church on the Upper West Side. Duncan Sheik wrote Spring Awakening, a musical that my husband really loved, but I didn't. He loved exactly what didn't work about it for me - which was that it was set in the repressive 1890's in Germany, but the kids would break into rock songs to reveal their inner most thoughts. And I kept thinking, kids who could express themselves like that, wouldn't be as afraid or timid or trapped as they were when they weren't singing. It's incongruity didn't work for me, whereas it was exactly that exploding into song but being so timid to parents and authority figures that worked for him. Well, he loved the music, which I liked but didn't love either.

So I wasn't that excited about the Duncan Sheik concert. But it was actually quite lovely. He sang a few songs from Spring Awakening but mostly sang other stuff, which I didn't know. And he sang some love songs which were so sweet without being mawkish, moving and simple, that I really warmed to him and his style. He was also quite overwhelmed by the response of the audience (about 800 or so? I can never guesstimate crowds properly) and interacted really sweetly with the audience, in what felt to be a genuine manner. So I warmed to him and to his music. We were about the average age of the audience (late 30's, early 40's) There were a few people in their 20's but it wasn't a young audience by any means.

I'll end it with the lyrics from one of the songs he sang, and you'll see what I mean:

Days Go By

I know it's not fashionable
To be this hopeful,
Or laugh away.

I didn't think it was possible
To be this grateful,
Any way.
And I know it's not sensible
To be this passionate,
Everyday.

Days go by.
I catch myself smile
More than you'd ever expect.
It's been a long while
Since it's been okay
To feel this way.

In the volumes of history,
Have you ever seen anything
So pure?
In the wildest mythology,
Were the gods and goddesses ever
So in love?
In your own experience,
Have you ever known tenderness
Like this?

Days go by.
I catch myself smile
More than you'd ever expect.
It's been a long while
Since it's been okay
To feel this way.

These are the most precious of all my days.

Now doesn't that bring a smile to your face? He had quite a few songs like that. Those ones, I liked....

No comments: