Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Flavor of the week

The Flavor of the week is Pistachios.

I'm one of those people who love pistachio icecream, it's an exquisite, tantalizing taste. I eat the nuts themselves, but I don't find much use for them in cooking elsewhere... but then...

I'm trying to eat better and we went to an upmarket french restaurant and there was nothing that appealed so I ordered a salad. And it was one of the best, most flavorful salads I've had in a long time (though when I described it to a friend she said it would more accurately be described as fruit and meat, but they called it a salad and so do I)

It was a combination of watermelon, proscuitto, goats cheese, a bit of lettuce and a smattering of pistachios, but what made it fabulous was the pistachio flavored salad dressing. It was both subtle and blended everything together perfectly. I just couldn't figure out how they infused the dressing with the pistachio flavor. I'm off to google salad dressings, to see if I can make it at home.

Edited to add - I found pistachio oil which I had never heard of and assumed to be very hard to find - well I found it in the first place I looked - Fairways. So I'm off to experiment with salad dressing

No comments: