Thursday, March 26, 2009

Encouraging young writers



For the young writers in your life -

I was photocopying flyers in the basement of my son's school (people are dazzled that I can get the photocopyer to both collate and staple!) and came across this poem that someone had overcopied and left a few sheets behind;

It's a Writing Kind of Day

It is raining today,
a writing kind of day.

Each word hits the page
like a drop in a puddle,
creating a tiny circle

of trembling feeling

that ripples out
and gathers strength
ringing towards the stars

by Ralph Fletcher.

It reminded me of Love that Dog by Sharon Creech that I bogged about previously.
I'm always looking for ways to encourage DS to write, and I loved that poem (probably much more than he did) but Ralph Fletcher also has a page called Tips for Young Writers on his site, and I hoping DS will like some of the suggestions there...

No comments: