Monday, March 30, 2009

Always Amazon




I've been debating whether or not to buy a Kindle - I'm it's target audience, in that I read at least two books a week, and books are often the most space consuming thing I have in my suitcase when we travel.

One might think the Kindle is a no brainer - but I'm also an avid supporter (ie user) of new york's public libraries. - There are one million books at my finger tips, all I have to do is order them online and mysteriously they appear at my local branch, and I get an email telling me when they are ready. Really, who could ask for anything more. The first kindle would not let me read books downloaded from the library. That's like an ipod only letting you play music bought from itunes, no uploading your own cd's, no other formats accepted. The new Kindle is a bit more accepting, but it still really prefers you to get your books from Amazon. It's geared for that and while you can do this thing of emailing texts to your special amazon account and them then uploading it for you... well, that's not welcoming enough for me. When I combine that with the $359 cover price, it's not so appealing.

Last night I was on amazon at midnight (is there a better time?) and found the perfect birthday present for DS's friend. But it wouldn't arrive in time if I took the free post option. And I looked at the amazon prime option they are always trying to sell me, anything delivered within 2 days, no $25 minimum, includes grocery items, all for the quite expensive sum of $80. And I say to DH shall I get the one month free option (which we both know means upgrading at the end of the month) and he said, well you use it alot, and I thought, it will deliver more than the kindle (can't download my coffee - (which I know is suspect and others find disgusting, but it's a legitmate line of coffee) which Food Emporium has decided to stop stocking and I can only get it on line now. Thank goodness for Amazon!) and in that moment I made my decision, no kindle, but yes to amazon prime... let the ordering commence

3 comments:

Laura K. Curtis said...

We've been devoted Amazon Prime users since the day they offered the option. All it takes is one heavy power tool delivery for DH, and we've made back the cost. Then there's the dog food (our oldest dog seems to get sick off anything but "the good stuff," and Amazon has Newman's Own Organic dog food cheaper than anyplace local), the prezzies for family and friends, and, of course, the books.

Kerry Walsh said...

What a shame these are not available in Australia....i started to salivate at the prospect of owning a Kindle.
I will just have to stick with the wondrous smell of a book for now!

Liat said...

I'm happy with the prime option now... I need a bigger screen. I know you can enlarge the font, but the kindle window was just too small for me conceptually... then again, everyone who has used it, loves it.
Maybe Kindle 3 - and it's coming to Oz... just give it time