Saturday, February 23, 2008

In tune with my universe

Occassionally, I download stuff on to my ipod and then don't listen to it - sort of like a tbr (to be read) pile, but a tbl pile. So the other day I was listening to Joan Baez on my my computer, and her haunting voice ends, and a new voice starts talking to me. "We're going to talk about breathing, breathing is so important," and I'm already turned off because I hate the way she says breathing, and then I listen because I'm wondering what the hell it is, and how it got on my ipod, and it lures me in and becomes so interesting, and she talks about meditaiton, it's basically a not very high quality recording of a lecture she's giving, and it goes on for about an hour and then ends with a meditation, and it's so interesting and engrossing, I've been raving to everyone about it ever since. Her name is Joan Borysenko, and she's done a whole range of books and cd's. I don't honestly know which one I downloaded, because it doesn't correspond to any on her list (mine just says Meditation, and each track is numbered, not named) But I've ordered her Beginners Guide to Meditation.

I feel calmer, as I've been listening to her meditation daily since then - 15 minutes, not before bed - it calms you down but then wakes you up with a snap, so you feel more alert and engaged, it's not one of those that puts you to sleep. And I'm really enjoying it. Not just the calmness, but also the way it slipped into my universe, as if I cleverly put it in my way to one day stumble over it and make myself better. My higher power at work :)

No comments: