Friday, February 8, 2008

Silent Treatment

I had a slightly strange but lovely experience at the hairdressers. This very trendy but older (ie not 20 - 40? maybe) guy cut my hair.
He had the requisite handkerchief over is own corkskrew curls, and really great strong hands when washing my hair, but he was mute. We communicated through gestures and nods and he gave me one of the best hair cuts I've had in ages, and a very warm hug at the end.

I actually preferred it to the weird chit chat you have to go through, he was totally focused on the hair and at the end his smile was so warm, it spoke volumes. But I was impressed that the salon in tribeca would hire him, and also, in a totally casual way, not explain the situation at all. They just gestered to him and he and I got going and I figured out for myself that he couldn't talk. They acted like it was normal, and it became normal. Refreshing (just when you think old tribeca is disappearing, you find a pocket of it) and the cost was reasonable too, though I worry for them, because they are never busy enough when I go there (usually I go for the excellent brazillian pedicures, this is the first time I've had my hair cut there.)

No comments: