Monday, December 27, 2010

The world is nothing but my perception of it.


The world is nothing but my perception of it. I see only through myself. I hear only through the filter of my story. - Byron Katie
When I first heard this it pushed all my buttons, there is objective reality, things actually happen, not everything is my perception...

But the older I get, the more this feels true to me. 10,000 things happen around us every day, and what do we recall? what catches our attention? we seem to remember only the things that confirm our beliefs, give energy/attention to what filters through our story. It's true, objectively true. The death of our pet dog speaks to us more than that of 100,000 strangers. Do we remember that someone smiled at us on the subway, or bumped into us? Do we notice the bad boy or the sweet smile? We are filtering information every second, and who controls that filter? We can only see through the glass darkly. It is ironic that the more clearly we know that, the more we can see.

No comments: