Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kindling fears


Every so often when I switch on my kindle there is a pause, often no longer than a heartbeat, and then the machine decides to switch on. But each time it happens I create a dystopian future fantasy, where the satellites go down, the electricity is off, and we can’t even access the books to fix it, because there are no books, only these electronic versions, and power isn’t on.

It worries me this reliance on things in the ether - that we will have our version of the catastrophic fire in the Great Library of Alexandria, but in our case, it will be that the machines won’t switch on, and then where will we be? I’m surrounded by technology that I cannot understand. I never knew how a microwave works and don’t even know how a toilet flushes, what will I do if books no longer light up for me?

I think I’ll keep some basic text books on hand, just in case…

No comments: