Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thought for the Day



“You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.”*

I guess I'm really feeling pulled in a lot of different directions right now, and striving for harmony, especially with issues around an organization I just joined. I have to say that is a very helpful notion - if we all just agreed, it would be stagnant. Lots of decent people are trying to bring different ideas to the table, all with the fear that if we don't find harmony, things will change. It will all be sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I know what the answer is - things are changing all the time. Noise is part of the melody, we can't all sing the same note, and indeed we ourselves change range as age and other life matters impress upon us. However I still feel anxious. I value this entity and the thought of it changing/going is sad...




*said by someone called Doug Floyd who may or may not be a good person to follow, but I liked this quote.

No comments: