Monday, June 30, 2008

Wanting...

We wanted to go and see the film Wanted this weekend - but not enough to actually leave the house at 9.30pm and get to the cinema.

My 10 yo son really wanted to go and see Wall-E this w/e and booked tix on Fandango even before I woke up (7am, mummy, I found a session at 1.40, let's go...)

I actually loved Wall-E. I thought it was beautiful, and sad. The depiction of Earth and the future of the humans, who become these gormless baby like things, was horrible to me. I so don't want that future! But the romance, especially the two so human machines (more human than the humans by that stage) floating/dancing in space was just beautiful. They did something exceptional there.

In the end, instead of going to Wanted, I played around on the internet and found a few more friends for my facebook page - though I have real issues with the word 'friend'. Some of these friends are acquaintances, and I don't get it when people I don't know at all keep inviting me to be their 'friend'. I don't want friends I don't know. Friends to me implies a level of intimacy, that I do want and respect, and won't throw away this precious word on people I've meet once at a conference, or people I don't know at all. And yet, when I see that people have 121 'friends' and I have barely 40, I feel less popular, in that teenage angst way. I tease my sister that she has 'false friends' because she's up to 167 or thereabouts. And yet, most days when I walk down the street I know faces to say hello to, and that anchors me in this place/street like nothing else. DH laughs that walking with me is like walking down Sesame St, where I keep seeing people I know. That's what volunteering at a local school does for you, it satisfies the want/need to be recognized, to be known.

No comments: