Wednesday, March 12, 2008

And then there were more

Photos to come -
Amelia had babies!
It was quite shocking, as the pet store had told us she was a baby herself, but she had been one week pregnant when we got her, and is now the proud mother of 4 tiny pink things, about as big as my finger tip. We've been reading up on baby hamsters, they can breed themselves when they are as young as 5 weeks (though the Internet assures us it's better to wait till they are 4 months) and their litters can be anything from 5 - 10 pups.

Because we weren't expecting this, we've done everything wrong (incl picking her up, just after the babies were born - but we didn't know there were any babies!) and my sincere hope is that she doesn't eat any of her young, a dire threat that they make if we irritate or agitate her (I can see mothers everywhere going, just leave me alone or I'll eat the baby!)

Still oddly exciting news.

My favorite line - remove the babies after 4 weeks, as the mother will be tired of them.

No comments: