Saturday, November 17, 2007

Giving me goose bumps


So we went to see Annie Lennox at the United Palace Theatre way up in the stix - around 165th St in Washington Heights. It was in this funky, huge converted Church (maybe it's still a Church, but that night it was a concert venue.)

I just love Annie. It's personal, I feel if we met we would be friends. And seeing her perform - this is the 5th time I've seen her live, is just wonderful. She always gives me chills, she's so good. Her voice is effortless, just soars up, so strong and clear. And the melodies and lyrics, so haunting. It was a great night.

We also had that small new york moment, when, as I was watching the seats in front of me - I don't know if you play this game, but I often watch people and try to figure out the connections between them. So two women, roughly the same age (mid 30's) came in and sat in the 3 sets before us, and chatted. And then this quite dashing man, 10 years or so older, came and sat between them, and I was trying to figure out who was whom, with the more vibrant girl nodding so attentively to him and the quieter girl fluttering her hands, not quite touching his shoulder. And when the man and the quieter woman went to get more drinks, the more vibrant woman turned to us and said directly 'so you're probably wondering how we fit together' and I laughed, startled, and said, actualy we were. It turns out she's the dashing guy's sister and she's trying to help him with his new girlfriend (who she doesn't know) but frankly, she was more charming and if that the level of women he's used to, the new girlfriend won't cut it. But it was so sweet to actually have one of my connections verifed.
A great night out all round.

2 comments:

Ben said...

L,
Just to let you know that I regularly read this page....it lets me know what is happening in your life and makes it seem like you are still close at hand....looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Love
Ben

Liat said...

i saw this comment... and I'm still writing the blog... :)
see you tonight.
L