Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fall TV

I know, there is much to discuss, where to begin.

I never did tell you the amazing night at the theatre I had where Patti Lupone sang her heart out in Gypsy. I saw the piece with Bernadette Petters, a softer, sweeter version, but Patti just filled the stage. When she was on you didn't need to look anywhere else. It's funny, you could think it was a dated piece, but that fear that you are forcing your dreams upon your children, that you are sacrificing your dreams for them, that doesn't leave so easily. And that famous, frightening line "I was born too early and started too late..." not so much for women now, but surely still applies to plenty of our mothers... And so the piece, set in vaudeville in the depression era, still resonates and speaks to us today. She was wonderful, she actually gave me goose bumps. It was a magic night in the theatre, the ones you dream about and so rarely get.

So that was the last thing I really wanted to blog about.

The thing I want to blog about now, quite urgently, is the fall TV schedule. Because if you don't all get behind Life, my great fear is that they will cancel the best new show on TV. It's such a ridiculous title, so easy to over look, so hard to google. In the end I googled Life - zen cop eating fruit to find it (and isn't that an intriguing line) It's about a cop in LA who was falsely accused of murder and put away for 12 years and then exonerated and given a huge pay out. He returns to the police force, much to their dismay, and lives out his new quirky life, trying to deal with the rage by being purely in the moment. He is also an oddly perceptive cop, and solves his POW with his own particular insights. Interesting, funny, about crime and punishment and even something about life and what's important (I am not attached to this car, he mutters as he drives his new, beautiful sleek ride)

I like some of the other shows - Pushing Daisies is so visual, it's a treat. But didn't love Dirty Sexy Money as much as I would have liked and had to stop watching Big Shots because the men just drove me crazy. Not really into Reaper or Chuck, but quite enjoying Aliens in America. I haven't watched Private Practice at all and have stopped watching Grey's Anatomy (I'm just not interested in the characters anymore) I hear good things about the new series of House and may return to it.

But the show that has captured my imagination is Life and I want it to continue... so please, Tivo, DVR or even watch it live (!) but watch Life. It's worth it.

Want to know more about fall tv? This is my favorite website - TWOP. Not sure about their new glammed up site, but liked the old one pretty well. Very passionate chat boards. Of course, my great concern is that they are not covering Life. I do so worry it will slip through the cracks...

There ends the rant. More normal quirky things will follow...

No comments: