Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What would people not know about you...


I went to a party the other night and the hostess asked us to write on a card something about yourself that others may not know, and then you had to walk around asking people if they were the person described on the card. It was a fun icebreaker. I never did find the person who wrote "I was married at 18" but it made for a good pick up line. Nor did we find the person who wrote "I had sex against the local school fence while it was being built" (presumably at midnight, because it far too busy a street to do it in daylight!) So lots of mysteries were willingly revealed.

I wrote that I had read tarot cards professionally, which one man agreed did not seem unlikely.

Well today I could write that I had testified at a senate committee hearing. I just think that sounds so grown up, and so uniquely American. Though my friends and I agreed that we could not be senators, because while most speakers were cogent and interesting, others were not, and everyone had to be listened to with equal attention, whereas we in the audience could whisper and slip each other notes when we got bored.

No comments: