Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Life's a Beach


So we are visiting friends and family in Sydney and trying to spend at least one hour a day at the beach. The Australian sun is too fierce to have whole days at the beach, as we did in my childhood. You would burn to a crisp, factor 30 notwithstanding. We try for an hour or two from 10 - noon or even better from 3 onwards, where you can end up eating fish and chips, as you sit all sandy on the steps, and feel the good life around you.

We usually go to Maroubra beach (pictured) - closer, with great waves, but rougher and windy; or Bondi - further, much more glam but very expensive parking and half an hour away. I love the waves, and jumping through them fills me with a child like glee. It's wonderful to jump the waves in my childhood beach with my son. I always say that Sydney is a great city to grow up in, because even though it's as urban as any other metropolis of five million souls, the beach keeps it from getting too detatched from nature. In the city of Sydney, you are still aware that nature is bigger than you, with awesome thunder storms and the every day majesty of the surf.

No comments: